Thursday 12 January 2012

On starting anew

As the end of my academic career draws closer and closer, I am admittedly a little bit nervous to step out into the real world. The time spent in hollowed halls and ivory towers was a mixed bag for me.

My undergraduate degree was a life changing experience to say the least. I was painfully shy when I first arrived, and, to make matters worse, I only knew a handful of people. Thankfully, though, I was placed in a residence filled with truly remarkable people that slowly but surely nudged me out of my shell. I became very close with those people in my four years there, and still am today. We're scattered across the province now, but meet several times a year for the super bowl, the holidays, or whenever one of us decides to tie the knot.

The professors truly cared about the success of their students. I spent many an hour talking about life, morality, and math with one particularly influential professor. He inspired me to go on to graduate school, but also encouraged me to grow as a person. Another taught me the subtleties of the human psyche, started me on my yoga journey, and taught me the value of thinking way outside the lines.  The school itself has a very welcoming atmosphere, with plenty of gorgeous plants and trees to help keep you connected and grounded. I found it very easy to think creatively and enjoyed my time there immensely.

Ivory towers are very lonely places, though. Having climbed the tower further,  I now realize that the view isn't quite as spectacular as I thought it would be, and the people at the bottom are much friendlier. The climb will end once I finish my masters in April.

It isn't easy changing directions, but at some point you have to eliminate the things in your life that aren't benefiting you. Enjoyment of life and connectedness are far more important than any amount of prestige or accolades.

I'm not sure where I will go once I reach the ground, but that's fine by me. In the words of tool, I will feed my will to feel this moment and embrace whatever may come. Cheers.

Live long and prosper,

FKA

No comments:

Post a Comment