Thursday 5 January 2012

313 days of yoga

On Nov. 15 of 2010, I showed up for my first ever yoga class at a studio in Halifax known as the shala.
I didn't really know what to expect, but I was certainly surprised by how difficult I found it. I was sweating like Shaq at the foul line and was finding it very hard to keep a steady breath like the rest of the yogis and yoginis in the room. The teacher was extremely nice and very welcoming, so I decided to buy their 3 month unlimited pass. I was only able to make it once a week at first for the intro classes, which were far from easy at the time,  but were very helpful.

I started going more and more frequently as the year went on and saw monumental improvements in every aspect of my life as soon as I started to realize that yoga is far more than posture, breath, and gaze. I would have never imagined that doing the same sequence of poses over and over again would help me look at the world and myself in a totally different way, but somehow it has.
  
So, my intention is to step on the mat 6 days a week and see where that leads me. At the very least I'll be surrounded by wonderful people who have and continue to inspire me. That's more than enough reason for me to stay the course.  Happy sailing to everyone else!


Live long and prosper,

FKA

No comments:

Post a Comment